The town of Owego, NY, , has been devasted by flooding in the wake of Hurricane Lee. See www.pressconnects.com for more information on the devestation. Bethel resident’s Chris and Wendy Barnabo are collecting school supplies and donations to help the students, families and teachers try to get school back to normal as quickly as possible (or as normal as possible – the elementary school was severely flooded and school will be re-opening in a borrowed building in a neighboring town). The Owego school PTO will be distributing to students and classrooms the following needed items. You may drop them at our home or at the Bethel United Methodist Church, 141 Greenwood Avenue, Bethel, CT. Or, Supplies can be picked up , just call. They need these supplies as quickly as possible, but will be collecting ongoing for at least the next 2 weeks. If we can make an initial delivery on Sunday, September 18.
Backpacks and Lunch sacks
- Grade specific school supplies (see list) http://www.oacsd.org/SchoolSuppliesLists.html
- Construction paper, art supplies, sharpies, white board markers/erasers
- Manila folders, Easel pads/large flip charts, post its, zipper bags(all sizes)
- Hand sanitizer, hand soap, Cleaning wipes, Paper towels, Tissues
- Small coffee filters, Juice boxes, Classroom snacks (single serve bags, or large boxes of goldfish, crackers, etc)
- Games for the classroom (good learning games or for indoor recess, etc)
- BOOKS! – Any age appropriate books from easy reading to chapter books that the teachers can provide in the classroom. There is no school library at this point. Used or new, they will take anything.
- Also, these families are in need of masks, gloves and hand sanitizer for work on their homes. Gift cards can also be donated to Target, Wal-Mart or Lowe’s (these stores are still operating; many others are not!)
If you’re unable to make a donation of supplies, you can make a financial donation (see below). use any money collected to purchase gift cards for use at the local Target, Walmart and Lowes (which are still able to operate, many other stores cannot), and we’ll periodically update this site with an accounting of the fundraising effort.help others in Anything you can give makes a family’s life easier and a student feel more secure is greatly appreciated.